Get a FREE replacement fresnel lens with the purchase of any Better Beamer Flash Extender, automatically added to your cart. $9.95 value!
For many years, bird and wildlife photographers everywhere use a Better Beamer Flash Extender (X-tender™) as part of their camera’s flash setup to bring out fine details in a shot, even on a dark subject. Also, while in use, adjusting the settings of your flash and camera’s exposure can darken a light background.
The Better Beamer Flash Extender is used in order to increase the output of your external flash unit while shooting with a telephoto lens. When assembled, the Better Beamer Flash Extender attaches to the front of your external flash with the included velcro strap.
The Better Beamer Flash Extender is designed for use with lenses of 300mm or greater. If used with a shorter lens, please pre-flash the subject to ensure coverage by the flash. Use of an auxiliary arm is recommended.
Why Should You Use a Better Beamer Flash Extender for Bird and Wildlife Photography?
- Lightweight and compact, folding flat for easy packing and storage when not in use
- Easy to setup and convenient to use
- Narrows the beam of light emitted from your flash to cover an angle of view approximately equal to that of a 300mm lens, increasing the range of your flash by a little more than two stops
- Shortens the time it takes your flash to refresh between each shot, creating a better chance of catching the action when it happens
- Reduces battery consumption
Model FX-6 Better Beamer Flash Extender is custom-fitted for Nikon SB-900 and SB-910, and the newer Canon 600 EX II-RT flash unit. If your flash unit is not listed here, please see our Better Beamer Flash Extender Compatibility Chart to find the correct model.
- 2 flash arms
- Fresnel lens
- Velcro attachment strap
- Segment of velcro to attach to the bottom of the flash unit
- Limited 1 year warranty
- Better Beamer Cover by LensCoat, a lightweight camouflage cover that disguises the shape of the Better Beamer when photographing birds and wildlife (sold separately)
- BeamerKeeper by LensCoat, a neoprene bag specially fitted to organize, protect, and carry your Better Beamer Flash Extender and fresnel lens (sold separately)
Please see the Specifications tab below for instructions on how to install a Better Beamer Flash Extender. For a tutorial and additional usage tips, see Greg Downing’s article, Getting the Most From Your Better Beamer Flash X-tender.
How to Install a Better Beamer Flash Extender
- Unwind the velcro strap wrapped around the flash brackets.
- Position one bracket on each side of the flash head. Note that the bracket ears help maintain the alignment of the X-tender™ to the flash head.
- Wrap the velcro strap around the flash head to secure the brackets in place.
- An additional piece of velcro has been attached to the velcro strap. You will need to adhere this to the top or bottom of your flash head to keep the strap securely in place.
- Attach the lens to the velcro strips on the front of the brackets. Your Flash X-tender™ is now ready to use. ALWAYS remove or cover the lens when not in use.
- With TTL flash no additional compensation needs to be added due to the use of the Flash X-tender™. Use the same settings that you would normally set on your flash. The Flash X-tender™ provides increased distance from your flash to the subject with both fill and full flash lighting.