The Wimberley Head is a specialized gimbal tripod head for telephoto lenses. Its gimbal head type design allows you to easily support and manipulate very large lenses for tracking birds and animals... Since its introduction in 1991, the Wimberley Head has become the industry standard for serious nature photographers. The Wimberley Head Version II offers the same stiffness, capacity, and fluid movement of the old version in a more compact and lightweight package. The head’s redesigned panning base has zero play, and the pan locking knob has been moved to the side of the head, thus allowing the user to easily operate both knobs with the same hand. New lobed “soft-touch” knobs provide a more comfortable grip and perform better when using gloves. In addition to the above improvements, Wimberley has examined all aspects of the head, tightening tolerances, improving friction materials and so forth. Our goal has been to make this head functionally and aesthetically better in every way than the old version and competing products. *** Wimberley is a father-son partnership dedicated to the design and manufacture of the highest quality professional photography equipment. We make tripod gimbal heads for large telephoto lenses, macro accessories, modular flash brackets, Arca-Swiss style quick-release clamps & plates, and more... http://www.tripodhead.com/
Wimberley Head...The Wimberley Head is a specialized gimbal tripod head for tel...
Balancing your...In this video Clay Wimberley discusses proper balancing of you...
Wimberley Head II
The Wimberley Head WH-200 is a specialized tripod head for professional photographers. Its gimbal-type design allows you to easily manipulate very large lenses when photographing birds and wildlife. Wimberley Head WH-200 incorporates an elevated tilt mechanism and an adjustable platform to perfectly align the center of gravity of a big lens with the tilt axis of the head. This design allows your lens to be perfectly balanced, meaning that a 15 pound 600mm ƒ/4 can be manipulated as if it were weightless!
Why You’ll Love the Wimberley Head II
- Wimberley Head WH-200 offers the same stability, capacity, and fluid movement of its predecessor yet weighs 1 pound lighter and is about two inches shorter!
- The head’s redesigned panning base has zero play and the pan locking knob has been moved to the side, allowing you to easily operate both knobs with the same hand.
- New lobed soft-touch knobs provide a more comfortable grip and perform better when using gloves.
- This new version of the Wimberley Head has a built-in Arca-Swiss style quick-release clamp and is not available in a non-quick-release model.
Highlights and Features
- 1 pound lighter than the old version (3.15 lbs compared to 4.15 lbs).
- Compact at ⅝ inch narrower and almost 2 inches shorter than the original.
- Improved ergonomics with both knobs located on the same side of the head, making it easier to operate both knobs with the same hand.
- New 5-lobed soft touch knobs are comfortable and easy to grip in cold weather, with slippery hands, or while wearing gloves.
- Better variable tension; it does not have separate controls for tension and locking, but the locking controls deliver smooth resistance with diminished stick-slip.
- There is no play or sloppiness in the pan base, even when the head is unlocked.
- The dovetail on the swinging arm of the new Wimberley Head, which allows adjustments of the platform up and down, now features Arca-Swiss geometry.
- Quick release base
- 5 year warranty from Wimberley®
- Wimberley Head II Cover by LensCoat® (sold separately)
For additional details on lens, tripod, quick-release, and flash bracket compatibility, see further details under the Specifications section.
The Wimberley Head II will adjust to fit virtually any telephoto lens with a rotation collar and is ideal for large lenses 300mm f/2.8 or bigger. Some lenses may require the use of a replacement foot to balance properly on a gimbal head due to the fact they have relatively taller stock feet.
Wimberley Head II can be used with virtually any tripod, monopod, window or ground pod with a 2″ (5 cm) or larger flat mounting platform and ⅜″-16 mounting stud.
The Wimberley Head Version II has a built-in, Arca-Swiss style quick-release clamp; It is not available in a non-quick-release model. In order to use the head, your lens must be equipped with an Arca-Swiss style lens plate.
The F-9 Wimberley Head Version II Flash Bracket is designed specifically for the Wimberley Head II. It attaches directly to the Arca-Swiss Style dovetail on the arm. If you already have the F-4 Bracket for the old Wimberley Head, see the Specifications tab.
For a closer look, read Richard Peters’ Wimberley Head II review.
Please see the Specifications tab below for additional information.
Compatibility - Special Considerations
These camera lenses have special usage requirements.
- Nikon 600mm ƒ/4 AF-S version I (Special Requirement: AP-652 Replacement Foot)
- Nikon 600mm ƒ/4 AF-S version II, Nikon 400mm ƒ/2.8 AF-S version I, and Nikon 400mm ƒ/2.8 AF-S version II (Special Requirement: AP-452 Replacement Foot)
The bottom mounting surface of the panning spool is approximately 1.94″ (5 cm) in diameter. If your tripod has a ¼″-20 mounting stud, you can purchase a ⅜″–¼″ brass reducer bushing to insert into the mounting hole of the Wimberley Head, which will allow you to mount the head to your tripod. For large lenses (300mm ƒ/2.8 or bigger), the Wimberley Head is ideally mated with the Gitzo line of professional Systematic tripods for maximum stability. Tripods with center columns are not recommended because they tend to introduce additional flex into the system, which can compromise image quality especially at longer focal lengths. If your tripod has a center column, the manufacturer recommends you do not extend the column when using the Wimberley Head.
Wimberley® offers a comprehensive line of quick release plates that have unique advantages over competing products. Shop All Wimberley® products in the store.
If you already have the F-4 Bracket for the old Wimberley Head, you have 2 options:
- You can replace the main upright module of your F-4 bracket with Module M-9.
- You can purchase the FA-9 Flash Bracket Adapter. This adapter slides onto the swing arm of the Wimberley Head II, and allows you to use you old style F-4 bracket.
Why does my old bracket not fit?
The dovetail on the swinging arm of the new Wimberley Head, which allows you to adjust the platform up and down, has the Arca-Swiss geometry. This was not true of the old version of the head.
Dimensions and Weight
Wimberley Head II
- Product Dimensions: 9.2″ height × 3.5″ width × 9.7″ length (23.5 cm height × 8.9 cm width × 24.7 cm length)
- Weight: 3.15 lb (1.4 kg)
- Base Mount: ⅜″-16 Thread
- Box Weight: 3.95 lb
- Box Dimensions: 11.3″ length × 10.4″ width × 3.6″ height (28.7 cm length × 26.41 cm width × 9.14 cm height)
It's important to know that the original Wimberley Head Flash Module 5 is not compatible with the new Wimberley Head without the use of an adapter. This adapter (the FA-09 Wimberley Head Flash Adapter) is available separately. The new head uses the Flash Module 9, developed specifically for the Wimberley Head II. The Module 9 is compatible with the Module 6 Extension Post and Module 3 Tilt Arm, the modules most commonly used with the Wimberley Flash Head Module. You can also purchase the Module 9 and the Module 3 together as the Wimberley Combo 9.