Clay Wimberley demonstrates the Wimberley Sidekick (SK-100): https://www.tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm At 1.3 pounds and small enough to be easily packed, the Sidekick converts your ball head into a gimbal head in seconds. Simply slide the Sidekick into the quick-release of your ball head. The Sidekick's elevated tilt mechanism and side-mounted quick release allow the lens to rotate around its center of gravity. This provides the same action and ease of use found in the original Wimberley Head at greatly reduced size, weight, and cost. Remove the Sidekick and your ball head is ready to use with smaller lenses. *** Wimberley is a father-son partnership dedicated to the design and manufacture of the highest quality professional photography equipment. We make tripod gimbal heads for large telephoto lenses, macro accessories, modular flash brackets, Arca-Swiss style quick-release clamps & plates, and more... http://www.tripodhead.com/
Wimberley Side...Clay Wimberley demonstrates the Wimberley Sidekick (SK-100): h...
Wimberley Sidekick Ball to Gimbal Head Adapter
The Wimberley Sidekick converts your ballhead into a gimbal head in seconds, weighing in at only 1.3 pounds and small enough to easily pack. Simply slide the Sidekick into the quick release clamp of your ballhead. The Sidekick’s elevated tilt mechanism and side mounted quick release allow the lens to rotate around its center of gravity. This provides the same action and ease of use found in the Wimberley Head at greatly reduced size, weight, and cost. Remove the Sidekick and your ballhead is ready to use with smaller lenses.
Wimberley Sidekick features a simple design of cast aluminum and stainless steel, with a catalyzed urethane finish that is durable and dependable. Super tough nylon alloy knobs are virtually indestructible. The Sidekick comes with a built-in Arca-Swiss style quick release.
- The Sidekick is designed for lenses similar in size to a 300mm ƒ/2.8 (including most 500mm lenses). It can also be used with smaller lenses that have a rotating tripod mount. The Sidekick will accommodate some 600mm ƒ/4 and 400mm ƒ/2.8 lenses by replacing the lens mounting foot.
- Really Right Stuff® (RRS) lever-style clamps may require an adapter plate to work with the Wimberley Sidekick. Please see the Specifications tab below for additional information about Really Right Stuff® clamps.
- Integrated Arca-Style quick release clamp
- 5 year warranty from Wimberley®
- Consider using Wimberley® lens plates, featuring an Arca-Swiss double-dovetail design and dual safety stops, with your Sidekick. Learn more about Wimberley® Lens Plates (sold separately).
- Consider using versatile Wimberley® flash brackets with your Sidekick. See all Wimberley® flash bracket system components (sold separately).
- Protect the resale value of your Sidekick with the Wimberley Sidekick Cover by LensCoat® (sold separately).
Please see the Specifications tab below for additional information.
Wimberley Sidekick Dimensions and Weight
- Weight: 1.3 pounds (0.59 kg)
- Maximum Dimensions: 9.11″ height × 2.5″ width (23.1 cm × 6.4 cm width)
- Minimum Compact Dimensions with Quick-Release Knob Downward: 9.0″ height × 4.60″ width (22.9 cm height × 11.7 cm width)
Compatibility with Really Right Stuff® Clamps
Really Right Stuff® (RRS) lever-style clamps may require an adapter plate to work with the Wimberley Sidekick. These clamps have a very limited clamping range compared to traditional twist-knob clamps. The range is not adjustable and may vary significantly from clamp to clamp. RRS guarantees that their lever-style clamps will accept dovetail plates that have a specific width, one that is the standard used by Wimberley and RRS.
Wimberley Sidekick is designed to work with twist-knob style clamps, and there is an inherent variability in the width of the Sidekick’s dovetail (because it is powder coated) that makes it impossible to guarantee that it will fall within the limited clamping range of RRS lever-style clamps.
If your RRS lever clamp will not accept the Sidekick, you will require an AK-100 Adapter Plate.